Tiverton United Baptist Church

Title

Tiverton United Baptist Church

Church Name

Tiverton United Baptist Church

Church Association

Annapolis- Digby

Province

Nova Scotia

County

Digby

Address

Tiverton, N.S.

Status

Active

Date

Constructed 1865

Historical Information

The Rev. Harris Harding of the Baptist Church in Yarmouth from 1797 to 1854 was an individual of missionary vision. He was a pioneer of the Baptist work on Brier Island and at Freeport (sits on Long Island). In 1842 he organized a church on the shores of Petite Passage, at Tiverton; however, this organization quickly ceased to function. Services at Tiverton were resumed upon the arrival of Lic. James E. Balcom, who was the first full-time pastor for Long Island. The present structure at Tiverton was completed during the pastoral leadership of Rev. William Hall (Long Island); however, John C. Morse was preaching at Tiverton at the time. This structure was dedicated in 1865 with the construction having begun in 1864. The formal organization of the congregation at Tiverton took place in 1870 when 31 members were dismissed from the parent body at Freeport. In 1956, a baptistry was added, and in 1961, the church was raised to accommodate the addition of a basement. As of 1970, Central Grove and Tiverton were the responsibility of Freeport in terms of pastoral leadership.

Files

Tiverton United Baptist Church (1) .jpg
Tiverton United Baptist Church (2) .jpg
Tiverton United Baptist Church (3).jpg
Tiverton United Baptist Church (4).jpg
Tiverton United Baptist Church (5).jpg
Tiverton United Baptist Church (6).jpg
Tiverton United Baptist Church (7) .jpg

Citation

“Tiverton United Baptist Church,” Atlantic Baptist Built Heritage Project , accessed October 17, 2021, https://atlanticbaptistheritage.omeka.net/items/show/68.

Output Formats