St. Mary's Bay United Baptist Church

Title

St. Mary's Bay United Baptist Church

Church Name

St. Mary's Bay United Baptist Church

Church Association

Annapolis- Digby

Province

Nova Scotia

County

Digby

Address

Highway #1, Barton, N.S.

Status

Active

Date

Constructed 1877

Historical Information

In 1833, the recently ordained pastor Rev. Charles Randall extended his labours from Sissiboo to St. Mary's and Hillgrove. As people were converted and received into the membership of the Sissiboo Church it became their desire to separate the church, which occurred in 1843. Until 1865, Mr. Randall continued to be the pastor of this initially 62 member body who called themselves the St. Mary's Baptist Church at Barton. The present church structure was dedicated in 1877 under the pastoral leadership of Rev. G.H. Goudy. There are references to an old Baptist Meeting House suggesting a former house of worship but little is known of this structure.

Files

St. Mary's Bay United Baptist Church (1).jpg
St. Mary's Bay United Baptist Church (2).jpg
St. Mary's Bay United Baptist Church (3).jpg
St. Mary's Bay United Baptist Church (4).jpg
St. Mary's Bay United Baptist Church (5).jpg
St. Mary's Bay United Baptist Church (6).jpg
St. Mary's Bay United Baptist Church (7).jpg
St. Mary's Bay United Baptist Church (8).jpg

Citation

“St. Mary's Bay United Baptist Church,” Atlantic Baptist Built Heritage Project , accessed October 17, 2021, https://atlanticbaptistheritage.omeka.net/items/show/67.

Output Formats