Central Grove United Baptist Church

Title

Central Grove United Baptist Church

Church Name

Central Grove United Baptist Church

Church Association

Annapolis- Digby

Province

Nova Scotia

County

Digby

Status

Vacant

Date

Constructed 1880

Historical Information

Around 1861, Rev. William Hall led an extensive revival, which began at Freeport spreading over Long Island and eventually to Brier Island. It was during Hall's ministry that the "separate church life" at Central Grove began. Hall held their meetings at the local Tibert Schoolhouse. Services continued at this location until the completion of their own meetinghouse, which had begun under the leadership of Rev. W. L. Parker from 1872-1878. The building was completed while under the leadership of Rev. L. M. Weeks (approx. 1880). This Baptist body had a church structure of their own but membership remained with the Baptist parent body at Freeport. Central Grove is one of the congregations in the Freeport field which also includes Tiverton. From Donald E. Outhouse's “Glimpses of the Past from Long and Brier Island” it is clear that the Baptist Church body at Central Grove was not officially organized until 1905. By 1983, the Central Grove church was closed.