Black Point United Baptist Church,
Formerly St. Margaret’s Bay Second Baptist Church

Title

Black Point United Baptist Church,
Formerly St. Margaret’s Bay Second Baptist Church

Creator

Avery Jackson

Source

Information provided by Atlantic Baptist Archives - Churches by the Sea binders, October 22, 1966, Chronicle Herald

Church Name

Black Point United Baptist Church,
Formerly St. Margaret’s Bay Second Baptist Church

Church Association

Halifax Association

Province

Nova Scotia

County

Halifax County

Address

Black Point, Halifax Regional Municipality. NS

Status

Demolished

Date

Built 1898

Historical Information

On May 15, 1872, the congregation of the Black Point Baptist Church was formally organized, and adopted the name “St. Margaret’s Bay Second Baptist Church.”

This title distinguished them from the St. Margaret’s Bay First Baptist Church, which served the area from the Head of the Bay along the eastern shore through Seabright.

The first meeting with which there are records for, was held May 25, 1886. It was decided to invite Rev. F. D. Davidson of Southampton to become pastor.

In the 1890s, plans were made for the erection of a church facility at Black Point. On August 3, 1896, a building committee was formed. It included the pastor, and deacons Caleb and James Hubley, Elkanah Meisner, and J. P . Webber. A site for the structure was given by Ephraim Hubley, and the church building was completed in the fall of 1898, and dedicated on October 9th of that year.

Between the congregation's formation in 1872, and the completion of their building in 1898, the congregation met in other community buildings; however, it was not until 1898 that a building was built solely for the Baptist congregation.

The church is typical for its time in terms of size and style, and is a prime example in a shift in Atlantic Baptist architecture during the early part of the twentieth century. This shift in style moved away from a typical symmetrical church design, usually with the tower centrally placed on the gable end. This church has the tower located on the corner of the gable end and eave-side of the building, with the main entrance located in this part of the structure. This church demonstrates hints of Classical architecture, evident in the straight lines and matching angles of the four-sided steeple, and straight-pointed windows, found on the gable, and eave-sides of the building. One of the most striking features of this building is the weathervane that once adorned the top of the tower, and the architectural embellishments on the gable end. Some of the best examples of the windows on this building can be found on the front facade, with a group of three straight-point windows centrally placed on this side of the building. Another classical, rectangular window, is set up high, near the peak, on this gable end.

Another striking feature is how the tower is attached to the main building. It sits slightly behind the front facade, and is built roughly ¼ of the way into the main body of the building.

This church was in existence at least until 1980, and has since closed. This building has since been demolished (2023).

Information provided by M. Allen Gibson, Churches by the Sea, Chronicle Herald, October 22, 1966.

Files

1.jpg

Citation

Avery Jackson, “Black Point United Baptist Church,
Formerly St. Margaret’s Bay Second Baptist Church,” Atlantic Baptist Built Heritage Project , accessed April 14, 2024, https://atlanticbaptistheritage.omeka.net/items/show/495.

Output Formats