Long Creek United Baptist Church

Title

Long Creek United Baptist Church

Church Name

Long Creek United Baptist Churc

Church Association

Prince Edward Island Association

Province

Prince Edward Island

County

Queens County

Address

3499 West River Road (Route 9), Long Creek, PEI

Status

Active

Date

Built 1861

Historical Information

The congregation, formerly known as West River, formed in 1860, and built a church the following year. Long Creek for many years was associated with the North River pastorate. John Scott began his preaching on this pastorate. The first families to settle in this area were immigrants from England and Scotland. Some of them were Baptist and some were Presbyterian. The history of the North River church and of the Clyde River church describes much of the work done at Long Creek as well. Reverend Charles Tupper visited the area, and there was considerable success in his work. Reverend Malcom Ross served here from 1843 to 1852. In the revival of 1845, with John Shaw assisting, Long Creek enjoyed the benefits along with other parts of the field. Some of the 22 baptized at West River at that time would undoubtably have been from this area. In 1879, Clyde River church, having grown sufficiently, separated from Long Creek (West River) to form a church. This was brought about by Reverend E. N. Archibald of Bedeque.

This church is positioned on a “T” in the road, and has its graveyard positioned in front of it, on the corner of the road. This church has obvious Gothic Revival architectural embellishments and influences in the style. This building has exemplified the use of an asymmetrical style with Gothic detailing. The Gothic detailing can be noticed in the arched windows along the main body of the building. These windows most likely had a hooded dormer over them, which was popular amongst Baptist churches in the ninetieth century. The building has now been covered with white vinyl siding hiding any detailing that would be around these windows. Another eye-catching feature of the building is the low, four-sided steeple, that is rather wide and barely reaches above the peak of the roof. This church has the same main floor plan as Bonshaw Baptist and Clyde River and could have possibly been built by the same builder, but rather than having more of a meeting house influence it has more Gothic embellishments such as a steeple on the main entrance way, and the use of pointed windows rather than rectangular ones. These similarities are noticeable in the shape of the main structure, the pitch of the roof, and the positioning of the main entranceway near the corner on the side of the building.

Information provided by church.

Files

IMG_7021.JPG
IMG_7016.JPG
IMG_7017.JPG
IMG_7018.JPG
IMG_7019.JPG
IMG_7020.JPG
IMG_7022.JPG

Citation

“Long Creek United Baptist Church,” Atlantic Baptist Built Heritage Project , accessed April 14, 2024, https://atlanticbaptistheritage.omeka.net/items/show/281.

Output Formats