Alexandra United Baptist Church

Title

Alexandra United Baptist Church

Church Name

Alexandra United Baptist Church

Church Association

Prince Edward Island Association

Province

Prince Edward Island

County

Queens County

Address

1140 Pownal Road, Alexandra, PE

Status

Active

Date

Built 1895

Historical Information

The congregation of the Alexandra Baptist Church was formed in 1831. For the first seven years meetings were held in private homes, until 1838 when a church was built and dedicated. From a beginning of fifteen members the church membership increased for several years but began to decline and by 1865 there were only nine members. Rev. E. N. Archibald came as an evangelist and the work revived and grew steadily under his leadership. At first the church was associated with Belfast and Uigg, but later joined with Hazelbrook, and remained so for many years.

Hazelbrook was known as the “Highland Church” by locals, referring to the settlers that came from the Highlands of Scotland and settled in the area. The Alexandra congregation was referred to as the “Lowlanders” and the “Lowland Church.” Eventually these congregations separated, and the Hazelbrook building was demolished.

In 1895, the original log cabin style meeting house that the congregation used, burned, leading to the construction of the church in 1895. This church was originally a rather plain and uncluttered wood frame structure, with the gable end facing the road. The steeple is uniquely positioned on the side edge, near the corner of the church. The steeple is low and is roughly the same height as the peak of the main structure’s roof. The steeple contains the main entrance and has unique, pie-shaped stained glass that appears to be original to 1895. Although the building has had some modern enhancements since its construction, the building still maintains many of its original features and architectural embellishments, such as the wooden finial on the top of the steeple, wooden trim, and wooden pews.

Some additions to the building include wood panelling added in the 1970’s, a front addition that was added in 2000, and the middle pews taken out and replaced with modern chairs.

Information was provided by the Church and History of the Baptist Churches of P.E.I.

Files

IMG_6828.JPG
IMG_6829.JPG
IMG_6830.JPG
IMG_6831.JPG
IMG_6832.JPG
IMG_6833.JPG
IMG_6834.JPG
IMG_6835.JPG
IMG_6836.JPG
IMG_6837.JPG
IMG_6839.JPG
IMG_6840.JPG
IMG_6841.JPG

Citation

“Alexandra United Baptist Church,” Atlantic Baptist Built Heritage Project , accessed December 2, 2022, https://atlanticbaptistheritage.omeka.net/items/show/276.

Output Formats