Bethel United Baptist Church, Ashmore

Title

Bethel United Baptist Church, Ashmore

Church Name

Ashmore United Baptist Church

Church Association

Annapolis-Digby Association

Province

Nova Scotia

County

Digby County

Address

5797 Evangeline Trail, Weymouth

Status

Active

Date

either 1857 or 1873

Historical Information

The Ashmore Church was originally constructed as an overflow for the growing congregation at the Weymouth Baptist Church (Riverside Baptist Church) located minutes down the road. There is a reference stating that “on June 29, 1873, the new Weymouth Church was opened.” This date is a reference to the opening of the edifice at Ashmore. Where these congregations were at this time and that the date for when the Ashmore congregation formed was the same year of as this construction suggest that this new church is referring to this structure.
Today (2021), the Riverside Baptist Church and Ashmore Baptist Church are joined and often both congregations will meet in one building each Sunday.
The Ashmore is nestled close to the #1 highway that runs through Weymouth and shows signs of having additions made to the structure over time. The bell tower appears to be a later addition, suggested by how it is connected to the structure in the attic. Other additions include a large recreation room, kitchen, and bathroom to the back of the building.
The building still retains some of its original features including its original pews in the balcony and tin ceiling (underneath cardboard ceiling tiles). The building is a timber frame, made from hand hewn beams connected with wooden pegs. The bell tower is constructed from milled lumber.

The Bethel United Baptist Church, Ashmore, traces its roots to the Church at Weymouth, also known as Sissiboo. One of the pastors that figured prominently into the history of the Ashmore Church was Rev. Charles Randall who was ordained at Sissiboo in 1833. Ashmore was within the bounds of his pastoral care when the Bethel meeting house opened in 1857. Although Ashmore was considered to be a church in their own right, the people of Ashmore continued to count their membership with the Church at Weymouth. This arrangement continued until 1968. Under the pastoral leadership of Rev. W.P. Clayton a new fellowship hall opened in 1972.

Information gathered from - Former United Baptist - North Weymouth, NS

Files

IMG_3471.JPG
IMG_3472.JPG
IMG_3475.JPG
IMG_3477.JPG
IMG_3479.JPG
IMG_3480.JPG
IMG_3485.JPG
IMG_3488.JPG
IMG_3490.JPG
IMG_3491.JPG
IMG_3492.JPG
IMG_3499.JPG
IMG_3500.JPG
IMG_3501.JPG
MVI_3507.MP4

Citation

“Bethel United Baptist Church, Ashmore,” Atlantic Baptist Built Heritage Project , accessed October 17, 2021, https://atlanticbaptistheritage.omeka.net/items/show/150.

Output Formats