Graywood Baptist Church

Title

Graywood Baptist Church

Church Name

Graywood Baptist Church

Church Association

N/A

Province

Nova Scotia

County

Annapolis County

Address

7 km North of the Virginia Road & Route #8 intersection

Status

Inactive

Date

1890

Historical Information

This church is an example of Greek Rival architecture. It includes a central projecting entrance and bell tower. The building has a central entrance but no steeple. It has a medium pitched gable roof with return eaves and pilasters. The façade has paired Romanesque or round arched windows. Rectangular windows along the sides have drip mould hood.

A history of Milford written by Pamela Hubley states “about 1890 the little congregation began the construction of the church. The land was a gift of Amos Hubley, whos wife Margaret became the first sexton. Logs for the building’s construction were donated by Henry Orde and Wallace Wright was the individual that sawed them out. The carpenter was E. C. Vidito who did most of the carpentry of the Church himself”. The trustees of the Graywood and Milford Baptist Church received the deed of land in 1887 from Amos Hubley.

Information from: County of Annapolis housing index

Files

Graywood 1.jpg
Graywood Church 2.jpg

Citation

“Graywood Baptist Church,” Atlantic Baptist Built Heritage Project , accessed April 14, 2024, https://atlanticbaptistheritage.omeka.net/items/show/146.

Output Formats