Brooklyn Union Church

Title

Brooklyn Union Church

Church Name

Brooklyn Union Church

Church Association

N/A

Province

Nova Scotia

County

Annapolis

Address

On property of 69 Brooklyn Road

Status

Alternative Use

Date

1887

Historical Information

The building is Modified Gothic Revival in style. It has a steeply pitched front gable roof. The windows on the side (west side) are in the Gothic style. This side used to be the front of the building prior to it being moved to current location. The front door is no longer used; a barn door has been added to the back of the structure (east side). The building is hand hewn timber frame, locally sourced from wood that grew on the North Mountain.

The original deed for this building has the “Trustees for the Brooklyn Public Hall for the people of Brooklyn and Clarence” listed as the first “owners”. The deed stated that if a trustee could no longer act as such, he was to be replaced by someone of the same religious denomination. Oral tradition states that this is the Brooklyn Union Church. This structure was originally closer to the north side of the highway and closer to the Mount Hanley Road, closer to the school that once stood here. It was moved to its current location by Al Peppard. The current use for the structure is a barn.

The original trustees for the church were Isaac Moore, Charles Neily, Ernest Neily of Brooklyn and Freeman Fitch of Clarence.

Information from: County of Annapolis housing index

Files

IMG_3554.JPG
IMG_3556.JPG
IMG_3557.JPG
IMG_3558.JPG
IMG_3560.JPG

Citation

“Brooklyn Union Church,” Atlantic Baptist Built Heritage Project , accessed April 14, 2024, https://atlanticbaptistheritage.omeka.net/items/show/144.

Output Formats